Celebration and Anticipation
Celebration and Anticipation
we have just passed the mid-way point of 2010 … a time to reflect and celebrate what God has done and a time to share what we believe God desires to do in our community. As our church family grows the tendency is to assume that our participation is not needed. To the contrary, as we grow together your part is essential. So, as we consider our vision & priorities for the remainder of the year please pray about how God would have you be a part …
vision 6.10-12.10 calvary nexus
nexus: a place of connection, a connected group, the focus or center
our mission: teaching the Bible to make committed believers to reach their community for Jesus~
I. celebration: thanks to God and to all of you who helped
A. a second campus: one church at multiple locations
during 2009 our campus on Mobil was reaching functional capacity: there were 1,000+ adults attending Sunday services and we simply needed more space to serve our community. On 4.11.10, by the grace of God, we launched a new 24,000 sq. foot campus at 300 S. Lewis Rd. in Camarillo. We are now 1 church with 2 campuses in Camarillo.
B. a new youth center: reaching the next generation for Jesus
one of the primary reasons we started the 2nd campus was to create a youth center where middle school & high school students would have a nexus. On 5.10.10 we began offering sports, music, art, tutoring, spiritual life coaching, games and an energy lounge to our community for free. Each day, students gather for chapel and learn about Jesus. Through the efforts of many volunteers we are able to offer this one of a kind service to our community.
II. anticipation: our priorities for the remainder of the year
A. connect - we help people connect with God by teaching through the Bible as we gather as a large assembly:
1. multi-site matters: in the coming months we’ll continue our transition to one church at multiple sites. Each campus provides a nexus where we can grow in Christ and live the mission of knowing Him and making Him known to help pre-believers connect with God. Please identify a primary campus and help develop that community.
B. grow - we help people become committed to Christ by exploring spiritual growth in smaller groups:
1. community groups: we’re creating a church of community groups rather than a church with community groups. In essence, we hope to see all of the church involved in mid-week community where people experience authentic relationships intended to develop spiritual maturity. Smaller groups help singles, couples, parents, and families learn to respond to challenges from a biblical perspective. If you are not yet involved in a community group please sign-up asap this summer or contact email@example.com.
2. leader development: leader & teacher development takes place formally through our school of ministry & intern program, and informally as we identify, train and develop leaders in every area of the church. We’re constantly looking to prepare more leaders as God continues to expand our influence. If you’d like to grow as a spiritual leader please contact me [firstname.lastname@example.org].
C. reach: we help reach our community by living our relationship with Christ beyond sunday:
1. community service ministry: develop a culture of service evangelism. The goal is to see everyone in the church serve 2-3 hours a month. We offer large-scale projects, and small-scale projects [e.g. rescue mission, pregnancy center, food pantry, senior center], & care for individual needs within the church and community. please contact email@example.com to serve God by serving others.
2. youth center@ lewis rd campus: we’re looking for 100 volunteers & more students for our daily program for older students. In an effort to reach the next generation for Jesus you can help any weekday afternoon with sports, music, art, games, energy lounge hosting, video & computers, spiritual life coaching, etc. Please contact Jess@calvarynexus.org.